Friday 18 November 2011

Bitter Sweet

From this day onwards sugar will not pass my lips!
At least not much sugar will. I have tried all the different intolerance diets for my IBS symptoms and nothing so far has eased my bloated belly or (sorry to say) excess wind. I’ve given up wheat, gluten, dairy (which I now don’t eat for ethical and environmental reasons), soy and all of the permutations that go with this. Nothing has changed things!
The only thing I have yet to cut out is sugar (or more specifically fructose). Probably for the very reason I should have stopped eating it: I love it and crave it! Anyone who knows me (even in a cursory way) knows I love sweet things and I have managed to push the thought of having to stop eating it from my mind for too many months now.
Finally I am ready to grow up and move on. So I am attempting to limit sugar to two serves of fresh fruit a day and that is pretty much it. No more dried fruit, raw fruity desserts, chocolate (oh, my!) or added honey/agave/maple.
Hopefully when this works (or should I say if?), I will be able to introduce it back into my diet slowly. But never in the amounts I’ve been known to eat it in!
Sticking with the diet changes yarn- we have initiated the last step towards veganism- we are not buying eggs anymore. Not that we are complete vegans- we’re still going to wear wool (second-hand or organic) and use bee products. Unusually it was Ryan who instigated the removal of eggs from our diet, after coming across various bits of information relating to the ethics of eating eggs and the environmental aspects.

2 comments:

  1. Ha ha... well you'll never be "sweet as sugar" now! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. IBS can be brought on by elements other than what you eat mate. I suffer when I'm stressed, or nervous. I was off work last week for 2 days with the worst stomache upset I've ever had, i hadn't eaten anything different but had been thinking about the amount of work I've got on in the build up to xmas. A warm bath and water (lots of) eased it away :) x

    ReplyDelete