Thursday 3 November 2011

Salt-Encrusted and Eager

Today I went to the cinema...with Nabeela! Walking up to the cinemas, babe quietly sitting in the sling, I stopped off at the health food shop to pick up some ‘healthy’ treats. I made my way into the cinema, paid for my parent and toddler ticket and realised that I may actually get to watch the film uninterrupted, because Nabeela had fallen to sleep!
I luxuriated in the time I had to watch a meaningless film, eat sweet things and relax. This lasted for about half the film before Beela woke up in a sunny mood. I came prepared with plenty of toys. She wandered the isles clinging happily to her wooden spoon and cup whilst I watched the film (and her out of the corner of my eye). Eventually she came and sat beside me and became enthralled by the big screen begging to be watched. I was slightly disconcerted as the film was not really child friendly, with giant guns glinting and bullets flying all over. I kept imagining Nabeela turning to me, arm raised, shouting ‘bang, bang’! Luckily all of the violence seemed to pass over her head and only the things that she could comprehend made any dent. So she kept turning to me saying various phrases like ‘man running fast’ or ‘big cars’. It was exciting to be able to see a grown-up film with my daughter playing beside me!
Once the film was over and Ryan had finished his cleaning we met up and headed to the library to peruse the shelves and do some research. Ryan’s research was on job and training opportunities and mine was in a similar vein, but surrounded my writing ambitions.
The Writers and Artists Yearbook is a little gem for information and general motivation. Just flicking through to read short sections was enough for me to realise how helpful it will be for my writing prospects. The first article I read was by my (newly realised) favourite author, Terry Pratchett where he made me smile as he usually does!
I slowly accumulated a tottering pile of books and magazines to take home- some for research purposes, others to further my reading and more just for fun.  Later we found that we hadn’t actually taken them with us! Although I’d checked them out, Ryan hadn’t realised I had left them in a pile for him to pick up (I was carrying the heavy toddler) and just walked off leaving my precious collection behind! He is still paying for this error!
Outside the confines of four dingy walls, the day felt calm and the sun shone merrily on all, although it didn’t have that usual Aussie kick to it. To expel some energy and reconnect with ourselves and the earth we headed straight for the sea. I was determined to do a little swimming and so, bracing myself for the cold waters, I ran in and out several times to ease my body into it and finally submerged my entire body. This method seemed to work well- running in up to leg height, then running out. Then running in a little deeper and running back out, until I finally ran back in to be completely submerged. Even if it hadn’t worked, Nabeela found my strange antics highly amusing!
Her laughter and excitement didn’t end there however. She thoroughly enjoyed her sea swimming education. She learnt about how the ocean movements feel on her body as the waves roll in. I modelled the up and down movement whilst she was in my arms and by the end she was calling out ‘up and down’ as she rolled with the waves. She also began kicking her legs and flailing her arms in a jerky and uncoordinated imitation of doggy paddle. Completely unfazed by all of these new feelings and movements, she even had her face splashed several times and still came out grinning. If Ryan is serious about wanting a little ‘surfer chick’ for a daughter I have no doubts he will get his wish!
Back at the caravan park, salt encrusted and on the chilly side, we got into conversation with a newly arrived family of seven. Both parents and their five children seem on first impressions like a lovely family: relaxed, calm and with a very similar lifestyle and views to us. I was so excited about meeting some potential friends that I was reluctant to leave to shower away the salt for fear of missing out or FOMO as I have abbreviated it to! I did (shower) and didn’t (miss out)..! But we will certainly be catching up with them again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment