Tuesday 8 November 2011

Lessons in Joy

We have spent the past several days doing little of writable interest, but having lots of fun all the same. We have spent much of our time with the Big Family (as I will re-name them). Because the days have been so hot we have spent much of our time on the beach during the cooler parts of the day or holed up in the big camp kitchen talking about our travels and way of life, comparing notes on Australia and the way we do things or learning new skills.
I have finally learned how to crochet. So I will be busy honing this skill over the months and trying to make bits and pieces for presents. Ryan and I have both learnt how to bake bread. It is something I have always been meaning to do, yet for some reason the idea has never stuck. But now I have seen how easy and cheap it really is (ignoring all those time-consuming, fancy recipes and bread-makers) we will begin at once.
Ryan and I have learnt how to form dread-locks and I am eager to begin them on my hair. It is something I have been considering for quite some time, on and off over the years. Yet I have never gone ahead with it! So we now have the kit and, despite the internal groans I can hear from my family, next time I speak to them I will have a ‘new’ head of hair (hopefully)!
Nabeela has matured so much in the past week. Being able to spend time with un-schooled children of such a diverse range of ages (from nearly three to eight) she has learnt much about an assortment of things. She has watched enthralled as the youngest has been dragged along the beach on a body board, skimming a thin skin of water and squealing with delight, before rolling away into the foam. She has delighted in playing in the park and learning how to successfully climb up the slide and slither back down it. She is slowly learning about crafts and how you tend not to eat everything you see, but instead make things with them (this is an ongoing process and much of the time she still insists on eating all bits of paper or cardboard she gets her hands on). She is assimilating the skills needed for riding a bike and sometime attempts to sit in the saddle. She is stringing together much more sophisticated sentences now and volunteers information more freely than previously.
I am beginning to see the delights in having a tribe of children rather than just a couple!

No comments:

Post a Comment